Get whiter teeth and a cleaner mouth!
Oil pulling is an ancient Indian form of oral hygiene that uses oil to clean and detoxify teeth and gums. By swishing two teaspoons of organic, vegetable-based oil for twenty minutes daily, evidence shows you can improve your gum and teeth health. Some practicing the technique also report experiencing whiter teeth, clearer skin, and better breath as harmful bacteria of the mouth is removed.
Whitening Strips and Zoom Whitening are not only costly, but also strip the teeth of their enamel. Because of this the teeth become weaker and more susceptible to stains than they were before the whitening in the first place.
I am an avid coffee drinker, and as a model worried about my smile and my complexion, a natural teeth whitening remedy definitely sparks my interest. I have started my pulling practice with Coconut Oil as it tastes good and also works wonders on the skin and hair. Coconut oil is naturally antibacterial and is great to cook with too.
Oil pulling seems like a great, low cost, naturally green alternative to the harsher formentioned treatments.
How to do oil pulling:
1. Put 1-2 teaspoons of organic oil into the mouth. Coconut, Sesame, and Olive oil are the ones I have seen suggested most often, however I am sure that any organic vegetable oil of your choice is fine.
2. Swish for 20 minutes. YES... 20 MINUTES! According to Dr. Bruce Fife, author of Oil Pulling Therapy, timing is very important. "20 minutes is just long enough to break through plaque and bacteria but not long enough that the body starts re-absorbing the toxins and bacteria." I have been using my time in the shower or doing my hair in the morning before breakfast to do this, as it is something I do every morning and also when I am usually not eating or drinking anyway.
3. Spit oil into the trash can. Do not spit into the sink to avoid clogging, and absolutely DO NOT swallow the oil as it full of the bacteria you are trying to get rid of in the first place.
4. Rinse well with warm water. Swish and spit (this can go down the drain) a couple of times to remove the remaing oil.
5. Brush well. With your tooth brush and a natural toothpaste, such as Tom's (available at most natural stores), brush your teeth as you normally do to make sure any remaining bacteria is killed.
After 3 days, I could really notice my teeth and mouth feeling cleaner. Now that I incorporate this routine into my daily life, I maintain a cleaner mouth, and whiter teeth without the use of harsh whitening products. I hope that this treatment can work for you all too!