HISTORY OF MACROBIOTIC:

      The Macrobiotic diet goes all the way back to the late 16th century. It was first mentioned in Christoph Wilhelm Hufeland's book The Art of Prolonging Human Life (1797).  It was  expanded in the late 19th century by doctor Sagen Ishizuka. He conducted clinical trials on thousands of Japanese patients and eventually used these overwhelmingly successsful results to help found his association, "Shokuyo" in 1907.

BASIC PRINCIPLES:

      "Japanese macrobiotics emphasizes locally grown whole grain cereals, legumes, vegetables, seaweed, fermented soy and other vegetables, as well as fruits." It is based on the idea of yin and yang. Certain foods are considered more Yin: "expansive, light and cold", and others are considered more Yang: "compact, dense, heavy, and hot" (wikipedia).

Farmer's Market.jpg
 

The Macrobiotic diet seeks to maintain optimum balance in the body by combining the foods we eat so that there is an equal amount of yin and yang in every meal. It also recognizes that the body needs different types of foods at different times of the year. This is why there is a high emphasis on eating seasonally and locally.

THE GUIDELINES TO MACROBIOTIC:

PRINCIPAL foods:

-Whole Grians 30%

-Vegetables 35%

-Beans and Tempeh 10% 

SECONDARY foods:

-Fruits 10%

-Oils, Nuts, and Seeds 10%

OTHER foods/beverages:

(herbal teas, vegetable juices, and lots of water, Fermented foods (kim chee, sauerkraut, pickles, miso, etc) and Seaweed) 5%

YIN/YANG and BALANCED FOODS Chart:

*Aim to eat as close to the middle of the chart as possible

FOOD TO AVOID:

-Dairy (milk, cheese, cream, ghee, whey, yogurt, and ice cream) -Animal proteins (meat, eggs, gelatin) -White/ brown sugar, maple syrup, corn syrup, and other refined sweeteners -Processed fruit juices from concentrate -Refined oils -Alcohol -White Rice -White Flour -Artificial Chemicals, preservatives, and dyes.

 

SEASONAL MEAL EXAMPLES:

Winter Meal

               Vegan Brown Rice Risotto with Steamed Asparagus

               Vegan Brown Rice Risotto with Steamed Asparagus

Summer Meal

Raw Vegan Spinach Salad with Alfalfa Sprouts, Cucumber, Carrot, and Tomato

Raw Vegan Spinach Salad with Alfalfa Sprouts, Cucumber, Carrot, and Tomato

THE "Model4greenLiving" TAKEAWAY

     Choose most of your food based up the "Slight Yang" and "Slight Yin" columns (80%). The other colums "Moderate Yang" and "Moderate Yin" should compromise the rest of your diet (20%).

     As a vegan I choose to abstain from the foods in the "Extreme Yang" or "Very Yang" Column as well as the cheese, cream, yogurt, and butter from the "Very Yin" column.The only thing from the "Extreme Yin" column that have chosen to include in my diet is caffeine.

                                                                                                        Thanks for Reading!

 

Follow me @Model4greenliving on Instagram
and Model4greenLiving on Tumblr